Sunday, May 10, 2009

Studio I: Limantour Beach Site Study

















This drawing was created by fusing two different studies; the first involved the site's physical topography and the second was about the path I took from the road down to the boundary of the site during our studio site visit.

For the first study I made a topographic model of the landscape and covered it with a layer of trace paper. Then I took blue ink and let it drip and run down the trace in three different locations starting at the top edge of the model. I repeated this step on 5 different layers of trace and then overlaid them in one drawing. This was to show how water would generally flow on the site. I think overall it was more of a poetic and artistic gesture than a rigorous analysis. I was interested in pathways on the site made by different elements. I was especially inspired by the maps of the Mississippi River.

The second study was a drawing of the path I took down to the tree which was at the border of the site. It shows vegetation was and the scope of my experience of the grass on either side of me as I walked down the hill.

By overlaying these drawings, I began to mold my understanding of the site as a layering of pathways which were both natural and man-made.

No comments:

Post a Comment