Thursday, July 30, 2009

It is decided.

Even though I had already decided a while ago it is now certain, there's no pretending it might or might not happen - I am doing thesis. I met with Antje yesterday to make sure the Lab and Seminar classes fit into my schedule and still allow me to graduate on time- and they do. I'm thinking about taking 18 units this semester and 12 next semester, we'll see how that plays out. I'm in for an intense semester. CBD, work, application for fulbright, thesis lab and seminar, pro practice, and a literature class. Hopefully I can take it.

Now I actually need to start doing some research and time is running out...
It's hard not to want to try and incorporate my whole life's belief and philosophy into this project, but I think being focused is important. But first of all is the research. I'm trying not to jump to far ahead at this point, trying to let the learning and process guide me.

And where to really start? I have so many vague ideas about what I want it to be about...
Some things I'm interested in:

The crumbling of old, outdated systems and the emergence of new building systems, network typologies, social interactions.

Process of growth and decay.

Looking beyond the built environment at intangible systems of information flows and connections.

Community involvement. How architecture and design can engage the public in a way that's not as sterile and boring as a panel discussions and meetings. something more upbeat and interactive.

The importance of the architectural process as a tool for creating exchange, experimentation and interaction, not just used to create an end product such as a building.

Places in crisis, places of change, places on the edge, volatile places, dynamic spaces.

small scale - big change

mapping.

No comments:

Post a Comment